This blog chronicles the experience of the Coker family in Jacksonville, Florida, with Solace for the Children, a humanitarian organization of volunteers, committed to demonstrating God's love by providing medical, dental, & optical care to the children of Afghanistan. Our 'Solace' journey began in June 2010, and continues...


Sweet Soman

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Emotional Roller Coaster

Sahar and the other children did not depart yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon, as originally planned. Due to flight delays, they actually left from Jacksonville this afternoon (Thursday). Unfortunately, we only learned of this change yesterday, after arriving with the children at the airport. While an extra night was undoubtedly a gift, the delay – and two trips to the airport – made for an emotional roller coaster. Caroline has taken Sahar’s departure especially hard – I wish I could make it easier for her. I don’t think Sahar has really known how to feel – she was excited about returning to the familiar and seeing her family, but she was undoubtedly sad to leave, at the same time.

My available time at the airport today was limited, so I ended up saying my goodbye to Sahar as she attempted to eat her lunch from Burger King. Not exactly how I had pictured the moment… My understanding from Sara is that the group goodbye was pretty emotional for all involved.

By my estimate, it looks as if they children should return to Kabul around 7 AM Saturday morning (Kabul time), which would be later Friday night here in the States.

Right now, I am personally feeling pretty bummed – I will miss seeing Sahar when I go home tonight, and seeing Caroline so sad just breaks my heart.

The emotional roller coaster continues…

Bryan